CRA3: Counterfeit Detection and Prevention and Supply Chain Management
Counterfeit Detection and Prevention and Supply Chain Management:
CHASE will develop techniques to:
- Techniques for detecting counterfeit parts using various tools, including THz technology, 3D optical imaging technologies, in-the-field thermal analysis, electrical parametric testing, X-ray imaging, etc.
- Techniques for ensuring detection capabilities outpace counterfeiting threats.
- Anti-counterfeiting techniques, including the use of unique IDs for each part’s package, development of on-chip sensors for accurately measuring chips’ lifetime, usage time, and workload conditions, development of metrics for evaluating quality and reliability of electronic parts, improving supply chain security and trustworthiness.
- Results: reduction in test costs, increased test effectiveness, and secure supply chain for developing techniques to prevent counterfeiting.
- Mitigate the risks of counterfeit electronic parts in critical applications and supply chains.
- Assess the effectiveness of existing detection testing methods, determine and recommend the most effective test techniques to identify innovative counterfeiting methods based on a cost/risk/benefit analysis.
- Continuously monitor the state of the art in counterfeit detection.
- Collect and review historical test data and evaluate the effectiveness of test techniques, sequences and test combinations.
- Define quantitative metrics for detection techniques and known counterfeit methods, technology readiness analysis, risk and decision analysis considering the pervasiveness of counterfeit and untrusted components in supply chains.
- Determine appropriate mitigation strategies, circuit level vulnerability analyses against counterfeiting, Trojans, probing attacks, and side-channel attacks.
- Analyze system-level risk and vulnerability, perform risk analysis considering hardware-software issues, mission mode failure analysis, e-waste vs. counterfeit analysis and working with policy makers to mitigate counterfeiting and improving supply chain security, etc.